The COVID-19 pandemic put many businesses through rigorous tests of their strategic resilience. For many, it was a rude awakening. Organizations that rapidly reinvented themselves in response to the pandemic can provide lessons for all of us.
Even among those that survived, some companies proved to be more resilient than others, rapidly adapting their strategies to address both the challenges and the opportunities created by the crisis. What did they do that others did not? And how can you learn from their actions?
Join the inaugural webinar by the VACD & CABA and hear from experts in the region about the economic outlook and Insights for Vietnam & Redefining Business Resiliency Amidst the Uncertainty of the COVID-19 Backdrop. Please join us on October 15, 2021.
(GMT +8 / SGT)
10:00 Welcome Message
Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Bach, Deputy President – VACD
10:05 Opening Address by Vietnam Ambassador to Singapore
H.E. Mai Phuoc Dung, Ambassador To Singapore Socialist Republic of Vietnam
10:15 Keynote: An Update on Vietnam Economic Climate and Investment Opportunities
Speaker: Mr. Phan Huu Thang, Former GD of Foreign Investment Authority (FIA, MPI), Vice Chairman of Vietnam Real Estate Association
10:45 Keynote: Experiences of Singaporean Enterprises in building and maintaining business resiliency
Speaker: Mark Chin, Chief of Staff – BHS Kinetics
11:15 Panel Discussion: Redefining Business Resiliency Amidst Covid-19 Situation
Mr. Teng Then Dar, Singapore’s Non-Resident Ambassador to Oman Founding Chairman, Asia Entrepreneurs Exchange
Mr. Nguyen Duc Thuan, Vice President – VACD
Ms. Huong Vu, General Director & Tax Partner – EY Consulting Việt Nam
Mr. Benjamin Yap, Senior Partner – RHTLaw Vietnam
Mr. Nguyen Ba Quynh, Senior Vice President – Hitachi Vantara Corporation
Moderator: Mr. Victor Tay, CEO – China-ASEAN Business Alliance
12:15 Closing Remark
- Mr. Teng Theng Dar – A Singaporean having worked with Japan, US, Indonesia and Singapore MNCs, he has accumulated over 40 years of senior management experience covering 12 different countries in Asia, and also in Australia and the Middle East Region. In his years of professional career, he spent ten years each in Japan and Indonesia, over four years each in Malaysia and Australia managing businesses in multiple sectors: FMCG, commodities trading, agri-food (plantation & manufacturing), F&B, ICT and system integration, Energy-saving solutions & products, as well as infrastructure and construction. In recent years, he has been actively engaged in agritech projects related to aquaculture and agriculture businesses.
- H.E. Mai Phuoc Dung is a career diplomat. Prior to his appointment as Ambassador of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam to the Republic of Singapore, he served as the Director-General, Directorate of State Protocol of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam. H.E. Mai Phuoc Dung majored in International Relations. He joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1990. He served as the Third Secretary at the Embassy of Vietnam in Italy from 1998 to 2002, and as Vietnam’s Consul-General in Sydney, Australia from 2011 to 2014. He is married with a son and a daughter.
- Mr. Phan Huu Thang was the former General Director of Foreign Investment Agency of the Ministry of Planning and Investment. Vice Chairman of Vietnam’s Foundation of Promoting Education Vice-Chairman of Vietnam’s Association of Foreign Invested Enterprises (term IV 10/2014 – 10/2018). Awarded “Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon” by the Japanese Government in recognition of his important contributions to promoting economic relations between Japan and Vietnam (December 2018). Mr. Thang is also the Chairman of Vietnam Tourism Property Association, and the Vice Chairman of Vietnam National Real Estate Association.
- Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Bach is the founder of AsiaInvest Group. He is a gifted expert with nearly 30 years working in corporate governance and finance, of which, over 11 years as Chief Financial Officer for Multinational Corporations and Telecommunication Firms such as TNT, Hutchison Telecom, HT Mobile. Mr. Bach is Director of Alliance of International Corporate Advisors (AICA) in 2012 – 2013; Area President for Asia of International Association of Financial Executives Institutes (IAFEI) in 2011 – 2013, Board Member and Vice Chairman of Vietnam Association of Corporate Directors (VACD) in 2019 – 2023; Founding Chairman of Vietnam CFO Club (VCFO), Board member of Viet Nam National Real Estate Association (VNREA) 2016 – 2021, Advisory Panel Member of China-ASEAN Business Alliance (CABA) 2019 – 2021.
- Mr. Mark Chin is internationally experienced (North America, Europe, Asia – industry-agnostic Lean/Six-Sigma Black Belt with a deep blend of SME/MNC executive/senior level leadership, general management, project direction, continuous improvement, learning / development, writing and business development skills. He has worked in diverse verticals such as Logistics, IT, PMO, Banking, Insurance, Manufacturing, Real Estate) throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Educated in Canada and the United Kingdom, Mark is currently Chief of Staff, Head of Corporate Development, Training and Organizational Design at BHS Kinetic, a proudly Singaporean-owned and operated provider of logistical solutions.
- Mr. Victor Tay is the Chief Executive Office at Global Catalyst Advisory and also the Managing Director of Stout Asia, Investment Banking group managing on South East Asia office. His areas of expertise include corporate strategic development, market entry and expansion strategy, direct investment, M&A and corporate finance advisory, and transaction support. He has assisted a number of Asian companies in going public successfully. He was Chief Operating Officer of Singapore Business Federation, with an in-depth understanding of global strategic developments, including in China, the United States and Asia. He was Group Director of SPRING Singapore, where he oversaw eight industry sectors comprising of Transportation, Logistics, Environmental, Engineering Services, Biomedical, Chemicals, Education and Business Services in which he had assisted Singapore enterprises in a variety of areas such as M&A advisory, technological R&D, private equity investment and internationalization.
- Mr. Benjamin Yap is a Vietnam registered foreign lawyer who is called to the Singapore and English Bar. He is the Firm’s first Senior Partner. Prior to joining RHTLaw Vietnam, Benjamin was the resident partner in Ho Chi Minh City for Singaporean law firm, Kelvin Chia Partnership. Benjamin’s areas of expertise are focused on corporate/ commercial transactions in mergers and acquisitions, real estate, corporate compliance/governance and employment. Benjamin was the President of the Singapore Business Group from 2008 to 2012 and is currently the Honorary President by virtue of his position as the Immediate Past President.
- Ms. Huong Vu is General Director and Tax Partner at EY Consulting Vietnam Joint Stock Company (EY Consulting VN). She has almost 25 years’ experience in tax and regulatory consulting in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Huong has particularly deep understanding of the Vietnamese legal system governing tax and investment and uses this knowledge in different working groups to offer insights to regulators and policymakers, comment on taxation regulations, and promote transparency in the Vietnamese tax system and financial environment. Huong is a member of Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) Australia, a member of Standing Committee of Vietnam Tax Consultants’ Association (VTCA), Deputy Director of Vietnam CFO Club and leader of Tax group of Vietnam Business Forum (VBF). She is also a lecturer in the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) Tax courses, a frequent keynote speaker on Tax issues at Vietnam Business Forum and various seminars as well as an valued author of several influential publications of the prestigious media organizations in Vietnam.
- Mr. Nguyen Duc Thuan is one of the founders of Vietnam Association Corporation Directors (VACD). He is Vice President of Vietnam Association Corporation Directors and he is also Chairman of Long Bien Corporation. Mr. Thuan is an advanced expert with more than 40 years working in Ministry of Defense, of which, 5 years as Deputy General Director and 11 years as President and General Director of Defense Economic Technical Industry Corporation in 1996 – 2012, more than 5 years as Commander of Legion 12 and General Director of Truong Son Construction Corporation in 2012 – 2017.
- Mr. Nguyen Ba Quynh is Senior Vice President at Hitachi Vantara Corporation, General Manager at Hitachi Vantara Vietnam Ltd, one of the top software solution services companies in Vietnam. Before this current role, he has more than 20 years experiences of general management, services management in IT industry with good track of record in Multi-national Corporation as IBM (General Manager of Software Group, Deputy Country General Manager, Country Manager of IBM Global Services for Indochina Territory), Hewlett Packard (Country General Manager of Imaging & Printing Group), Schneider Electric (General Director of APC by Schneider Electric Company) . He has Master Degree in Computer Science & Telecommunication Management at Franco-Polish School of New Information & Communication Technologies in Poland & an MBA Degree from University of Hawaii, at Shidler College of International Business, USA. Quynh also got various leadership & executive education from Boston University and London Business School during his tenure at IBM and Microsoft.